Frequently Asked Questions of Administration


 Questions regarding water/sewer bills

Q:  Can I pay my water bill online?

A:  Yes.  Click here or click "Online Payments" (top blue box on right side on the Home page.)

Q:  When are meters read?

A:  Meters are generally read during the last full week of February, April, June, August, October, and December.

Q:  When are the bills mailed out?

A:  Water/sewer bills are mailed out the first week of January, March, May, July, September, and November.

Q:  What if my water bill is higher than normal?

A:   If your water bill is higher than normal - here are some helpful hints:

Check your toilet 

  • Put food coloring in the tank of your toilet(s) and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. If the food coloring goes into your bowl it is likely that you have an internal leak or a bad flapper. Best thing to do is call a plumber and/or replace the flapper.
  • Check all faucets for dripping – even little drips can a lot of water usage.
Outside water sources 
  • Make sure your faucets outside are not dripping or on.
Water softener 
  • Are you doing regular maintenance to your water softener? Is it regenerating properly?

Q:  Do I get a price break for watering my lawn?

A:  The volume of water used during the months of May/June will determine to cost of the sewer use for the remaining months beginning for the billing period beginning July/August through May/June of the following year.  Example:  If the water used in May/June is 2,500 gallons and water used in July/August is 5,000 gallons, you would be billed for the water use of 5,000 gallons, but only 2,500 gallons for sewer.

Q:  When are water/sewer bills due?

A:  Bills are due on the 15th of the month in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.  If bills are paid after the due date, a late fee of 10% of amount due will be applied. If water and/or sewer bills remain unpaid for sixty (60) days after first due and payable, the City may discontinue providing such services.  See Ord. 30.06:   Ord. 30-Municipal Water System

Q:  Where do I pay my bill?

A:  You can pay your bill online, mail your payment to the City of Albany, P. O. Box 370, Albany, MN, 56307, use the drop box in the front of City Hall, by credit card, or by direct payment.  Complete the following document and return to City Hall:

 Can I have a camp fire in my yard?

Yes, a campfire is permitted under the following conditions:

1.  Flames must not be more than 3 feet high

2.  The area 10 feet from the fire ring's base must be completely cleared of all combustible material.

3.  The fire must constantly be attended by a competent person until the fire is completely extinguished.

4.  A garden hose connected to the water supply or other fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use if needed.


  How do I report a street light outage or problem?

Xcel Energy customers can report outages by calling (800) 960-6235 or by clicking here
Most of the City's electic is powered by Xcel Energy except for the Highlands Addition and Cranberry/Deerberry St.  People living in those areas, can call (800) 962-0655.

 At what point is a snow emergency declared?

It is unlawful to park or permit any vehicle, trailer or other object to remain parked upon any alley or street from November 1st to April 15th between the hours of 2  a.m. and 6 a.m. during any snow fall which accumulates over 1 ½ inches.


 When does grass and leaf pick up begin and end?

West Central Sanitation will begin weekly grass and leaf pick up beginning April 1st running through November (weather permitting).  Yard clippings should be bagged or boxed, weighing less than 50 pounds; branches should be bundled, with branches less than 3 inches in diameter and no more than 3 feet long.

 Where can I dispose of tree branches and brush?

The City has a brush site located on Quaker Road just outside the City limits.  Only brush and branches from within the City limits are accepted at the site.  A key to unlock the gate can be signed out at City Hall during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  No tree stumps accepted!

  Do I need a burning permit?

See Ordinance 73: Burning
Please review the DNR website to answer your questions regarding burning permits outside the City limits.  If there are no restrictions in place, please contact Gary Winkels @ 320-980-4894 to obtain a burning permit.

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

View our Parks & Recreation page to see availability. Email Heather at or Molly at or call 320-845-4244 to reserve either the Jaycee or Lions' Shelter.  Reservation Forms:  Jaycee Shelter  Lions' Shelter


  How do I know if a contactor is reputable?


  1. Ask if they have an approved solicitors permit from the City signed by Tom Schneider, Clerk/Adm.
  2. Ask for the contractor's license number and contact the Department of Commerce at 800-657-3602 or to the Department of Labor and Industry's website to verify that the builder is currently licensed and to find out if they have a disciplinary history.
  3. Ask if they are a member of a local builders association.
  4. Ask the contractor how long and where they have been in business.
  5. Ask for references and check with former customers to see if they were satisfied with the company's work.
  6. Ask for a MN business address other than a post office box.
  7. Ask for a business card or local phone number where the contractor can be reached during normal business hours.

 What time are the City Council meetings?

City Council meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesday of every month.

 Who can I contact for the Albany Heritage Society?

John & Peggy Kloos:


 What are the City Administration office hours?

Administration Office hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.   Monday through Friday